First I cut a 10″ X jean-hem-circumfrance-plus-one-inch strip of fabric and folded it in half to make it 5″ wide, wrong sides together, then sewed the short ends together to make a complete circle. I angled outward a bit to keep the flare going throughout the new addition. My angle was a bit off … you might want to get out a protracter. Ha. I must admit I also had to tear out some stitches because I first sewed the two ends separately, making a very nice rectangle. Oops.
Keeping right sides together, and the unsewn edge aligned with the bottom, I pinned the fabric to the jeans.
Finally, I sewed it on. I learned through trial and error to sew from the inside so I can make a semi-straight line. This way, I could follow the jean hem.
Ta-da! After much pinning and sewing and tearing and resewing, here they are! Of course, I still have a bit of tweaking to do. But, it’s a start and a big improvement!